Follow by Email

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Chocolate Pudding--Oh, My!

   Many, many years ago I discovered a recipe for chocolate pudding from scratch. Yes, even way back then I liked to experiment and make things from scratch, as my grandmothers did. Something about measuring and combining various ingredients just thrills me; more so when they actually come out edible; even more if they come out delicious!
   It was quite an easy recipe: sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, salt (just a pinch), milk, butter and vanilla. Mix all the dry ingredients, stir in the milk over medium-low heat, stirring almost constantly. Bring the mixture up to a boil, stirring (I use a whisk). Boil and stir one minute. Remove from heat, add the butter and vanilla, stir until the butter melts into the pudding. Pour into a serving bowl, individual bowls, or a pie crust. Lay a piece of clear plastic wrap right on top of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming. This also helps keep the pudding creamy. Serve warm in about half an hour, or chill until ready to serve.
    Prepare yourself for the best pudding you have ever tasted. Not overly sweet, and you can adjust the amount of cocoa to make it richer, if you prefer. You get it--its your kitchen. 

Chocolate Pudding 

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup + 2-4 tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)-
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 5-1/2 cups milk
  • 4 tablespoons butter (solid)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  This is best served with real sweetened whipped cream. I usually make this pudding to fill a graham cracker crust for a pie. Remove the plastic wrap from the top of the pie, after chilling for at least 4 hours; slather it with whipped cream, add shaved chocolate, crushed chocolate wafer crackers, chocolate chips, or anything you can think of. My "baby" just adores this pie. Any chocolate lover will too.
  I will post a photo soon. Enjoy Thanksgiving with your family and friends!

When I frost this baby, I'll post that photo, too!


Aunt Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment