Follow by Email

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Getting back on track!

     Hello, all. I am so sorry to be away for so long. I can give you many reasons and excuses, but let it suffice to say that I was buried with classes, and although they were about writing and my dream of writing for life, and about life, my life, I was just spread too thin. And now, I find myself employed full time (yeah) and taking four more classes that really have me jumping for joy.
      I am still enrolled at the Empire State College, majoring in Cultural Studies with a concentration in Written Communication. This semester I have the honor of taking Creative Writing-Non-fiction, and an independent study in The Art of the Memoir. I am thrilled to death, especially because my adviser for that class is one of my favorite professors I have had so far in my academic career, and a past contributor to this blog, Himanee. Another wonderful part of this class is that I have to keep up my blog...and although I say 'I have to', it will not be a chore, or an unwelcomed requirement, but more of a motivation to do the two things I love the most: to write and to cook. So thank you, Himanee for helping me set my priorities straight and get back on the road I want to be on.
     The class, The Art of the Memoir finds me reading memoirs that are about food, just as my life is measured by the cups and ounces I use in my own kitchen, I find that my life, in that sense is not unique. This is so exciting! My I just finished watching Julie and Julia by Nora Ephron, which is really two books and memoirs in one. One of Julia Child, the infamous chef and author, and of Julie Powell, a struggling writer who set out to cook every recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking in a year, while blogging about it. What an inspiration, and how amazed I was that I had never seen the movie before. It just goes to show how out of touch with life I was. I had no idea that blogs existed at that time, and I cannot believe I missed the book when it was first published and the movie when it was first run. Truthfully, I am not good at keeping up with things, as I am usually wrapped in my own little world, my own kitchen. See what I almost missed?
   The stories are told side by side, the struggles of Julia Child as, the wife of a diplomat assigned to Paris, and her struggle to find her place in life, and what to do with her life. Apparently even in the early 1960's women were already facing the struggle to create their own identities, and become their own person; and the story of blogger, Julie Powell, who takes on a personal goal to finish something: cooking every one of the 524 recipes in Mastering the Art of French Cooking in one year and keeping a log about her trials and tribulations by blogging her results. She did accomplish her goal, and she became famous and got a book and movie deal out of the effort; she is now referred to as a writer. Her dream came true by challenging herself, but setting an ambitious goal and showing us, once again that if you put your mind to something and never gave up, you can do anything.
     I am sure there are more lessons in there so I am going to watch the movie again, to make sure I have not missed anything.
     I am going to start cooking and posting again, and also posting my thoughts about the books I read and movies I watch for this class. So welcome me back, and I will get on with picking up where we left off...I have a few recipes that I have made over the past few months that I want to share with you, and no, they are not even close to the level of Julia Child's cooking, but they are tasty, I promise.
     If anyone has any requests for me to try or post any certain fare, or dish I would love to fulfill any requests I can. Let me know. Okay?

Reference:
Ephron, N. (Writer-Director) (2009). Julie and Julia [DVD]. Available from http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/julieandjulia/

No comments:

Post a Comment